💕Self-love for beginners
Self-love is a popular term that gets tossed around “You just have to love yourself more." “If you only loved yourself, this wouldn't have happened to you." "You can't love another person until you love yourself first."
That’s all well & good, but how to start?
Self-love is not simply a state of feeling good, it’s about appreciation for yourself that grows from actions that support your physical, psychological and spiritual growth. When we act in ways that expand self-love, we begin to accept our weaknesses as well as our strengths.
1. Become mindful. People who have more self-love tend to know what they think, feel, and want. They are mindful of who they are and act on this knowledge, rather than on what others want for them.
2. Act on what you need rather than what you want. You love yourself when you can sometimes turn away from something that feels good and exciting to what you need to stay strong, centered, and moving forward in your life, instead.
3. Practice good self-care. You will love yourself more, when you take better care of your basic needs.
4. Set boundaries. You'll love yourself more when you set limits or say no to work, love, or activities that deplete or harm you physically, emotionally or spiritually.
5. Protect yourself. Bring the right people into your life. There isn't enough time in your life to waste on people who want to take away the shine on your face that says, "I genuinely love myself and life." You will love and respect yourself more.
6. Forgive yourself - accept the fact that you are not perfect. Practice being less hard on yourself when you make a mistake.
If you choose just one or two of these self-love actions to work on, you will begin to accept and love yourself more.