Reading is great for mental wellbeing! Here’s 5 reasons why.
1. Reading improves empathy - many of us feel deeply for fictional characters and this is not only normal, it might even be beneficial for your health and relationships. We all know as readers that books allow us to experience life from the vantage point of someone else — and that shifting worldview won’t just impact us in our on-the-page world; reading can also help increase empathy in our real-world relationships too.
2. Stories Of Others Can Help Put Your Own Life Into Perspective - Once you’ve taken that time to climb inside someone else’s skin”, your own struggles might not seem so terrible after all. Just knowing that someone has walked through the same, or similar, fire that you have, and survived, will not only help you feel less alone, it also might inspire you to think about your own challenges in a new way.
3. Reading For Pleasure Lowers Stress And Promotes Relaxation. Developing a regular reading routine has been scientifically proven to lower stress levels, stabilize your heart rate, and help you relax.
4. Books help You To Think — And Problem-Solve — More Creatively. No matter what you might be going through in your life, you’ll be able to find a book, or even several, featuring characters who have experienced something similar — and their hard-won lessons can help you think differently or approach a problem in a way that hadn’t occurred to you before
5. Reading Can Help You Fall Asleep — And Sleep Better. Plenty of studies have shown that establishing a regular bedtime routine is great for helping you fall asleep faster, and sleep both longer and better; and including a book into that between-the-sheets habit is even better.
So what are you reading ? Anything you can recommend?