Mental health problems affect about 1 in 10 children and young people.
70% don’t get appropriate interventions at a sufficiently early age.
At The Sunshine Box we think that young people should be exposed to, and encouraged to use wellbeing techniques from an early age.
Good mental health allows children and young people to develop the resilience to cope with whatever life throws at them and grow into well-rounded, healthy adults.
Things that can help keep children and young people mentally well include:
* Having time and the freedom to play
* Having a person they can talk to without them panicking or overreacting - that doesn’t have to be a parent.
* Feeling loved & valued. Telling young people how proud you are - not just for exam or other results- but for little things they do & for just being themselves is essential.
* Being hopeful and optimistic - encourage gratitude or positives journals
* Being able to learn and having opportunities to succeed
* Accepting who they are and recognising what they are good at - encourage positive affirmations
* Feeling they have some control over their own life